Words are my first love (not counting, y’know, my kids and such), but I enjoy telling stories through lots of media. Sometimes that means learning them on my own, more often it means collaborating with designers, photographers, and videographers.
Projects and experiments I’ve led:
- Designing and launching outreach newsletters at the Simpson Center for the Humanities.
- Nature Nearby: an interactive map
- The psychology of climate change: A cartoon guide
- Occasional photography, and much more selecting photos for tone and impact
- Video: Humanitarian Jihad
- Redesigning static web pages informed by analytics (such as Bastyr’s Campus Traditions page)
- Various radio appearances as a climate-change reporter
- Twitter, Facebook, and other social media for source-finding, promoting work, and crowd-testing ideas (@jhiskes)